Summer will be here before you know it. People will be commencing on their long-awaited summer escapes as the last weeks of school finally wrap up. June to August becomes one of the heaviest times for travel, whether by plane, boat, or car, as everyone looks to soak up some sun and RELAX! Whether you are going to the beach, away for a weekend of camping, or jumping on a plane for an island or even a European destination, I’d like to share with you some things that are must-have in your bag while away.
Here are my top 5 recommended summer vacation essentials.
- Wear skincare protection- Don’t ever leave home without it. Apply it daily. No matter the season or destination, we want to protect our skin from damage due to weather elements, particularly the sun. My personal favorite brand is Australian Gold, but I grew up as a Coppertone baby. No matter the brand, pick the right SPF for your skin type. This also included keeping a lip balm handy.
- Carry a hat-Again along the lines of skin protection; a hat provides shade for your face, keeps you from squinting, and can keep your head cool and protected. I always have a baseball cap in my beach bag. It’s great for when I want to read or keep the hair out of my face on a windy day.
- Carry a water bottle-I don’t go anywhere without my refillable water bottle. I keep it in the car, at my desk, and take it to the pool or beach. It is easy to get dehydrated when we are traveling, especially since we often don’t take time to stop or lift glasses of our favorite cocktail. Water is essential, and staying hydrated will keep you feeling well and your skin nourished too.
- Keep a snack in your bag-I am big on healthy eating and keeping my body fueled to avoid sugar drops or crashes. Not to mention overeating later because I’ve starved myself. I like to keep simple easy to carry snacks in my bag like small granola bars, nuts, pieces of fruit, and cheeses (depending on if I can keep it cool). I try to avoid chips and salty snacks if possible because they can cause swelling when traveling by air or being in the sun.
- A book or journal-Now that I am off on my journey, what better item to have for the ride or flight than a book to pass the time. Or a journal to write down those thoughts that have been lost in the commotion of daily life. It is a perfect way to relax while getting to where you are going to passing the time once you are there. I have more items I like, but the above can be found at any given point when you open up my beach bag or carry-on. It’s I can’t leave home without them list. It’s my standard travel operation kit, always ready and waiting to go on my next adventure. And remember, those adventures can happen as close as your own backyard. Enjoy and have a fun, safe summer or any time of year vacation wherever you land.
Lisa Rossmeissl is the owner of Boomerang Escapes, a home-based agency located in Old Bridge, New Jersey with agents in TN, MS, and WI.
She has been a professional travel consultant since 2008 and specializes in Australia and the South Pacific. Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji, and Cook Islands are among the specialist certificates she holds. Her agency’s focus is on creating custom itineraries with their client’s wants, desires, and budgets in mind. She and her planners believe in getting to know the traveler to ensure they have a vacation to remember. With each planner specializing in a different market area, Boomerang Escapes can offer a wide variety of leisure vacation planning.
Leave a Reply