New South Wales-A Top 10 of Things to See
New South Wales is one of Australia's states located on the east coast. It was founded as a penal colony in 1788 and now boasts the largest population of Australians. The capital of New South Wales is the infamous Sydney well known world wide and serves as the major entry point for travelers. Therefore, New South Wales makes for a perfect state to begin your Australian explorations.
Here is a top 10 list of some of our must see and do items for exploring this state.
- Sydney Opera House-What trip would be complete to Sydney without seeing this iconic architectural building. Designed to look like sails the Opera House is a focal point of this harbor city. One can see it via a walk around the exterior, tour inside, or even a show.
- Sydney Harbour Bridge- Another iconic landmark in the heart of the Sydney is the bridge. A climb of this structure is a must and we highly recommend doing it or sunset or sunrise for some of the most fantastic city views you will ever have.
- Bondi Beach-The birthplace of the surf life saver is a great spot to visit and easily accessible on your own via Sydney's great public transport. Get adventurous and take your own surfing lessons while visiting.
- Hunter Valley-Australia's premier wine district within a 2 hour reach from Sydney. Perfect for wine tours as a day trip or consider staying in the valley for a more immersive experience. Go beyond the wine too visiting boutique breweries.
- Blue Mountains-Is a mountain range west of the Sydney. It is ideal for a day trip or overnight stay. Visit waterfalls, take in hiking, learn about aboriginal stories such as the "3 Sisters" and more is this beautiful fragrant destination.
- Kiama Blowhole-Travel down the southeast coast from Sydney to visit this famous blowhole and feel the spray of salt water. Also, discover the 'little blowhole" while smaller than Kiama a bit more reliable for is spray.
- Wollongong-Another southeast coastal city less than 3 hours drive from Sydney. Great for beach walks and lookouts. Also, New South Wales 3rd largest city.
- Lord Howe Island- has amazing sand amongst its 11 beaches, great for snorkeling, and spotting rare birds. Only a short 2 hour flight from Sydney or Brisbane.
- Ned's Beach- One of the 11 beaches located on Lord Howe Island where you can wade in shallow waters and hand-feed the King fish.
- The Snowy Mountains-Informally known as the "Snowies" is Australia's highest mountain range with Mt. Kosciuszko it's largest mountain. Home to the oldest ski club in the world. Makes a great visit in winter or warm months for recreational outdoor activities.
We've only brushed the top of the highlights for a visit to New South Wales and encourage you to make an immersive experience to this popular state with both visitors and a natives.
Lisa Rossmeissl is the owner of Boomerang Escapes, a home-based agency located in Old Bridge, New Jersey with agents in TN, MS, and WI. She has been a professional travel consultant since 2008 and specializes in Australia and the South Pacific. Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji, and Cook Islands are among the specialist certificates she holds. Her agency’s focus is on creating custom itineraries with their client’s wants, desires, and budgets in mind. She and her planners believe in getting to know the traveler to ensure they have a vacation to remember. With each planner specializing in a different market area, Boomerang Escapes can offer a wide variety of leisure vacation planning.