The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music-Salzburg, Austria
When arriving into Salzburg, your eye will first be caught by the brilliant color of the Salzhach. It is the main river running through this Austrian state. The river which in English means Salt River, was a very important part of the local economy. However, it truly is it's blue sea color that will make you stop for a photo op. As you continue your journey into Salzburg, you will see it is a city of beautiful architect nestled amongst the Alpine surroundings.
Salzburg and Austria for that matter has plenty to offer for your vacation experience. I would suggest planning a couple or night or more stay with daily activities to explore the area. And if you are a fan of Sound of Music and fell in love with the beauty of Austria from years of watching Julia Andrews sing "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music.." then you'll want to include on one of the day trips to explore all the famous film spots used in creating this heart warming story of the family Von Trapp. Several operators offer "The Sound of Music Tour" that lets you relive your favorite scenes from the movie. Typical adventures are about 4 hours in length and while you visit the film's iconic landmarks your guide will also fill you in on the historical background of Salzburg pointing out top attractions with their stories.
So sit back, relax, and even sing along as you visit these highlights:
- Mirabell Gardens- The garden where Maria and the children are seen singing 'Do-Re-Mi'
- Leopoldskron Palace- A stop here at the lake where the famous boat scene happens and all tumble into the water.
- Hellbrun Palace, Gazebo-"I'm 16 going on 17…" and where Maria and Captain von Trapp have their first kiss.
- Nonnberg Abbey-The oldest convent in German speaking Europe and famous for the opening sing with nuns singing when Maria runs in late to the Abbey.
- St. Michael's Church in Mondsee-The church where Maria and Baron vonTrapp marry
- Frohnburg Palace-This palace was used for opening scenes as Maria first stumbles in with her clothes that nobody wanted as she arrives at the house gates.
As well as other scenic highlights and attractions of Salzburg.
For the fan, the tour is a dream come true as like myself, you will be reliving childhood memories of years gone by.
For more information on visiting Austria, Salzburg, or adding a "Sound of Music" tour to your itinerary, contact us!
Lisa Rossmeissl is the owner of Boomerang Escapes, a home-based agency located in Old Bridge, New Jersey with agents in TN,MS, and WI. She has been a professional travel consultant since 2008 and specializes in Australia and the South Pacific. Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji, and Cook Islands are among the specialist certificates she holds. Her agency’s focus is on creating custom itineraries with their client’s wants, desires, and budgets in mind. She and her planners believe in getting to know the traveler to ensure they have a vacation to remember. With each planner specializing in a different market area, Boomerang Escapes can offer a wide variety of leisure vacation planning.