Destination Spotlight-Riviera Maya
Do you look for adventure when you’re planning your vacations? A destination that might be of interest to you is the Riviera Maya, Mexico. The Riviera Maya offers an abundance of different areas that host all kinds of different adventures that you can explore. There are over 70 resorts that you can choose from, and I’m sure there is one to suit everyone’s desires.
Here is a week’s worth of adventures you could try while on your vacation:
1) Swim in a Cenote: Cenotes are large natural sinkholes, and an iconic feature of the Yucatan Peninsula. In Mayan times, they were used for fresh water supply and religious ceremonies, but nowadays make the perfect place for tourists who want to swim, snorkel and relax in a unique environment.
2) Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: The Great Maya Reef is home to some of the best snorkeling in America. One of the best places is off the beaches of Akumal. Akumal is a nesting ground for turtles, but you will also see several tropical fish, making it a paradise for snorkelers and scuba divers alike.
3) Xcart Park: The park offers more than forty different attractions. You can explore jungle ruins, forest trails or float along the underground rivers in a raft. There is a wild bird aviary, an orchid greenhouse, and an aquarium. In the evenings, they have an on-site theatre that depicts Mexican culture through song and dance.
4) Tulum: Tulum has picture-perfect sands, and turquoise blue waters that leave you with a laid-back vibe. It is a town like no other and offers you the inspiring Mayan ruins that are a must see.
5) Playa del Carmen Nightlife: The nightlife is centered on the beach, and one of the biggest night time attractions is the flamboyant Coco Bongo, where the shows are comparable to those of Las Vegas. One can enjoy the Riviera’s finest cuisine, sip cocktails in beachside bars or dance the night away in the popular clubs.
6) Chichen Itza: Hailed as one of the Seven Wonders of the New World, the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza truly deserves their status as the second most popular attraction in all of Mexico.
7) Relax: After all this is one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world.
photo credit: Adventures of Cancun Tours
While the Riviera Maya has all the incredible activates, it’s also a brilliant place to relax and unwind. It offers stretches of white sand beaches fringed with palm trees. The beach is quiet due to the protection of the coral reefs. The waters are calm and portray a turquoise blue. The long stretches of white sands are home to sea turtles and crabs. I think no matter who you are or what level adventure you desire, the Riviera Maya is sure to deliver.
Fun Fact: Xcaret is a popular 250-acre tourist area in the village of Playa del Carmen. It includes an aviary, Dolphinarium, turtle sanctuary, beach, and a Mayan village with ruins. With so much to see, visitors often spend an entire day there.-Travel Impressions
Main Photo credit: Chichen.com
Andrea Ward is an independent travel consultant of Boomerang Escapes, located in Burlington, WI. She has been planning vacation escapes for the company since 2013 and specializes in Caribbean Destinations. Her main focus is on the all-inclusive vacation experience for adult or family getaways for individuals and small groups. Sandals and AMResorts are among the specialist certificates she holds.
Lisa Rossmeissl is the owner of Boomerang Escapes, a home-based agency located in Old Bridge, New Jersey with agents in TN, and WI. She has been a professional travel consultant since 2008 and specializes in Australia and the South Pacific. Australia, Tahiti, Fiji, and Cook Islands are among the specialist certificates she holds. Her agency’s focus is on creating itineraries with their client’s wants, desires, and budgets in mind. She and her planners believe in getting to know the traveler to ensure they have a vacation to remember. With each planner specializing in a different market area, Boomerang Escapes can offer a wide ride of leisure vacation planning.