To Market, To Market....
To Market, To Market...Australia's Markets
A favorite all time nursery rhyme of mine is
To market, to market, to buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again, dancing a jig;
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog;
Home again, home again, jiggety-jog;
To market, to market, to buy a plum bun,
Home again, home again, market is done.
I have often recited this in the car to my children as we return from the grocery store or farmer's market. Though my second line always went "Home again, home again, jiggety-jig". I must admit, I love food! Buying it, cooking it, and eating it! I've even created a blog category you can find on the website called "Passport for Your Palate."
A great thing about the summer months is the return of the farmer's markets. Nothing beats being able to buy fresh or even visiting the farm to pick your own food for the table. There is so much enjoyment in getting out, smelling the fragrances from the stands, and mingling with people. In the Memphis, TN area, there are many Saturday morning markets such as The Memphis Farmer's Market, The Agricenter Farmer's Market, and Millington Farmer's Market to name a few that residents enjoy! Or venture a bit farther into the country for a trip out to Jones Orchard for peaches!
Australia, is like our sister, with an abundance of markets to visit. They have some markets that are very well renowned such as the Queen Victoria Market pictured above. Visiting a market will give you a taste and flavor of the state or territory you are visiting. The markets sell everything from fresh produce to hand-crafted gifts and high fashion. You will find a vibrant market almost everywhere you go!
Australia Markets to explore.
- The Rocks Market-Open Saturdays in Sydney, selling elegant hand-crafted are and jewelry
- Sydney Fish Markets-Open daily in Pyrmont, selling fresh seafood
- Old Bus Depot Market-Open Sundays in Canberra, Australia's Capital Territory. Selling art, clothing, produce and wine.
- The Queen Victoria Market-Open 5 days a week and reputed to be the largest and oldest market in the southern hemisphere. Selling fresh produce, gourmet delicatessen products, clothing and more.
- West End Markets-Open Saturdays in Brisbane, selling a mix of products and fresh produce.
- Adelaide Central Markets-Open 5 days a week, Tuesday-Saturday in Adelaide. Come and purchase everything to create a perfect picnic.
- Salamanca Markets-Open Saturday mornings in Hobart, Tasmania. Find a wide range of products from glass, pottery, woodwork, and food.
- E-Shed Markets-Open every weekend in Perth, filled with hand-crafted gifts and souvenirs.
- Mindil Beach Sunset Markets-Open Thursdays and Sundays from the end of April to October in Darwin, sellin an exotic array fo food. Items from across the world are represented.
To experience true Aussie flavor, be sure to incorporate a day of exploring the markets.
Lisa Rossmeissl is the owner of Boomerang Escapes, a home-based agency located in Old Bridge, New Jersey with agents in NJ, TN, MS, SC, and WI. She has been a professional travel consultant since 2008 and specializes in Australia and the South Pacific. Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, Fiji, and Cook Islands are among the specialist certificates she holds. Her agency’s focus is on creating itineraries with their client’s wants, desires, and budgets in mind. She and her planners believe in getting to know the traveler to ensure they have a vacation to remember. With each planner specializing in a different market area, Boomerang Escapes can offer a wide ride of leisure vacation planning.